Monday, September 17, 2012

Reasons We Love Lindsey Wildlife Museum

Location really is a big reason we love this place.  Just around the corner from our house and connected to Larkey Park in Walnut Creek, means many times we wander into the museum on park days, or just cruise by to say "Hi" to the turkey vulture in her cage or see if the other raptors are exercising in the yard.

My 3-year old adores watching procedures in the hospital viewing area and playing the interactive computer games and simulations.  I have found the docents to be engaging, articulate, and passionate about what they do.  I love that teenage volunteers are animal ambassadors leading many of the meet-and-greet sessions with the hamsters, snakes and other creepy crawlies.
We've enjoyed the mini classes and activities offered, such as guided nature-walks within 20 minutes of the museum.  Both my son and I are learning to identify the natives plants and animals in our area.  For example, have you ever seen one of these hanging from an oak tree and thought it was a nut?  Nope.  It's a wasp gall.
It's the kind of wholesome activity that pleases our little and his grownups!  I think he really feels it's his museum and I look forward to the day when he can volunteer there!

One of the main reasons I recommend this place even to my West-of-Caldecott-Tunnel friends, is because a family membership at the Lindsey Wildlife Museum will run you about $65 per year.  Even if you never cross the doors after a first visit, you can reap the benefits of their agreement with the Oakland Zoo which allows you free admission to the Zoo and discounts at other cool places all over California and the rest of the U.S.  A savings of at least $30 over a Zoo membership.





No comments:

Post a Comment